Thursday, April 19, 2012

"New" skirt for Emmy!



If you are anything like us, you just can't find a good modest skirt for your girls. If it fits in the waist then they are really short. To get them as long as we like then they are way to big in the waist. Well I saw everyone else making a skirt out of a pair of jeans so I thought I would give it a try. Now my Grandma Collings taught me how to sew a little when I was way younger, but I have never touched a sewing machine. When we left Hobe Sound, Florida in 2010, Mrs. E. Shamber gave us an older singer machine, but we had never really used it. Well last week I was tired of studying for my Pastoral counseling class, so I decided to take the night off and relax.


(Back)
A couple hours later, and only one little mistake, (I think) here is the finished project. I had so much fun! Maybe it seems strange for "Daddy" to sew a dress for his little girl, but I am thankful to have a skill that will help us provide for our family.


(Front)
Should I say thank you to Skyler for giving me an old ripped pair of his jeans to use for the wedge of lighter material to be sewn in? THANKS Sky!!!




And there is little miss Emma, wearing her, "new" skirt!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Greg!!! That's adorable! Love it! WTG!! You have always been so creative.

Constance said...

good job. by the way, for homeschooling. you should check out ohio virtual academy. Call them and ask them what's the name of the one for Indiana. It is public school online. We do this for madelyn and that is who chris teaches through. It is WONDERFUL! They send you the computer, books and supplies. You log in everyday and they already have your daily plan up of what your suppose to do for the day. The nice thing, everything is FREE. We still go on trips, we just take our computer with us and do it while we are away. It's a great combination of schooling online and then also book work. If you have problems, your kids are assigned to a teacher and she is just a phone call away. They are available from 8a-5p every day. Madelyn loves it and we are getting ready to start joshua in kindergarten next year through them.

~Gregory Quakenbush said...

Constance,
We were actually enrolled here in Indiana. They would not let me demo everything until we enrolled, so I went ahead and enrolled, once I started looking into the material I didn't like a lot of it. The material quickly reminded me why we want our children to have a christian education. We want to use something that we will be able to take to the mission field, something the kids will already be used to. Anything that strictly uses computers will have to be out since there are times in Haiti when electric can be sketchy. Thanks for the thought, glad you like Ohio's. We looked into it over there and it appeared to be much better than Indiana's version.